Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Acting Career In Hollywood: Should I move to LA to pursue my acting career?

Hi, I'm 16 years old and in high school and I know I have to be an actor; it is what I love to do. My question is, once I graduate high school, do you suggest moving to LA to pursue an acting career, or going to college to get a degree in acting? I want to do film & television work, not theater, so would moving to LA be a better career move?

ANSWER:

Yes LA would definitely be the better place to be for film and televison, but
you will want to use this time until you graduate to do a few very important things.

1. Start getting some really good, solid acting training. Learn a technique for example. Learn how to audition. Learn some monologues. Learn why classes are important and how to choose a school that is right for you:
www.actingcareerstartup.com/acting_classes.html
www.actingcareerstartup.com/taking_acting_classes.html

2. Learn as much as you can about the industry and what's happening.
Learn as much as you can about LA and Hollywood, not only from an industry
standpoint, but also from a geographical standpoint.
www.actingcareerstartup.com/acting-career.html

3. Devlop a strategy that includes learning business and networking skills. You NEED to know how to do those things. It's not just as simple as getting an agent and expecting that they will do all the work. It's not that simple. That's what my book teaches you about, among other things.
www.actingcareerstartup.com/acting_career_start.html

If you can get a chance, take a couple of fact finding trips to LA and check things out. Go to some workshops and seminars for actors there. Start interviewing schools and other actors there before you go, so that you will feel more sure when you finally get to where you want to be. Have a look at the HOLLYWOOD HO link on the menu of the site.

No comments: