Monday, November 26, 2007

Question: I'm trying to become an actor. My dad knows a guy who knows a Hollywood director. Should I try to work that contact and get introduced?

Build your base first.

It's important.Are you trained? Have you taken any classes? Do you know what it's like to work as an actor? Do you know what it's like to have to look for work, day after day? Do you think that by meeting Cillian Murphy, that you will be set for life as an actor? Are you counting on this being your big break?Build your base first! Has your dad's friend ever seen you act? If not, why should he introduce you? Why would he? If you knew someone famous or important in the industry, would you introduce them to someone whose work you've never seen, especially in a world where everyone and his brother wants to be an actor?

I wouldn't. Because that's my credibility that's at risk. I would want to be sure that when I introduce someone to a person of that calliber, that my introduction will make a strong, positive impact.

Now, having said all that, if you are well-trained and ready to be introduced to such a person, then by all means, go for it. If on the other hand, you haven't even taken a class yet, then do that first! Get your training. Trust me. You will be glad you did. You will feel so much more confident. You will be so much better.

If the introduction is set up as a casual meeting that probably could have, would have happened anyway, then sure, go meet the guy. But I wouldn't go having an expectation set up that you will audition for the guy if you're not trained.

For more information about what you need to do to get started, have a look at this page link with 21 helpful tips for starting your acting career.

No comments: