Friday, April 4, 2008

Question: I have a stage fright issue. People tell me that I am a good singer. They even say that I am amazing.

My problem is that I have to perform in front of a few hundred people in a couple of weeks and I am scared to death! Please help!

ANSWER:

I recently conducted a seminar for 300 people. My seminar was on the second day of a three day event. I had the whole day. The organizers really hyped it up and tried to put me under a lot of pressure to do well telling me that everyone was really expecting a great seminar and performance from me.
They called me the day before while another seminar leader was on stage, telling me that he was doing a fantastic job and asking me if I was ready to 'perform' the next day. I said I was.

For a split second I thought about how, unconsciously, these guys were really trying to put the pressure on me. They wanted to look good for having organized a great event.

I then thought to myself, that this is MY seminar. They asked me to come and deliver it, because they believed in me...for the most part. I also thought that while I am on stage, NO ONE in that audience knows what I'm going to talk about better than I do.

I felt extremely confident! And guess what?

It was a smashing success! I had people wanting to take their picture with me, people wanting me to sign autographs and dedications for their books and things. They loved it.

Now. If I had let those guys put me under pressure, I would not have come off like I did. I'm sure.

So, my message to you is. You KNOW YOU CAN SING well. Strut your stuff girl! Like Cider says, give them the reason that you know you have to like you. They will love you.
Also think that there might be one person in the whole group who would want to be in your shoes, up in front of the group singing like you will do. Maybe just one. The rest of them will be more than happy to just sit back and listen to the great performance that you will give.
Think positive!
Be confident!
Walk on that stage like you own it!
It's yours!
It will be the best performance of your life!

For a little technique to help you with all that, have a look at this page on my site for new and aspiring actors about how to get over stage fright
http://www.actingcareerstartup.com/how_to_get_over_stage_fright.html

Good luck!

Tony

No comments: