Sunday, January 13, 2008

Question: Is it ok to take multiple classes and would your recommend it?

  • Hi there! Ive been a fan of your site and writing for a while now. I agree with you on the importance of being in acting classes. I just have one question. Is it okay to be enrolled in many at once and would you recommend it? I know lots of coaches offer multiple classes. I want to take classes from two seperate coaches at seperate facilities. One for private and the other for group. Do you think that could be offensive to either of them? What about combining three? Thanks for your time!

    I'm glad you like my website! That's always nice to hear.

    There are different schools of thought about taking multiple classes. There are for example schools that offer intensive programs like the one I went through a few years ago in New York. It can be a great experience. Before I did that program all at the same school, a year before that I had gone to New York and put together my own class schedule combining different schools and different teachers. My schedule was:

    Mon: Yoga!
    Tues: Technique (Method based)
    Wed: Audition technique, Sensory work (Method) and Scene Study (Method)
    Thurs: Improvisation, Yoga.
    Friday: Technique
    Saturdays: occaisionally there were specialty classes and forums with casting directors and agents that I attended.

    For me that worked out fine.

    I believe it is possible to successfully take different classes at once, but they should all be based in the same technique. For example if your acting class for technique is based in Meisner and your acting coach teaches Method, I wouldn't do that. It can be confusing to you. Any classes you take, you want them to complement each other. If on the other hand, your tecnique class is Meisner and your scene study class and your acting coach is also Meisner based, then I would say it's ok. Keep it all in the family, so to speak.

    Another thing you could do is, study technique, scene study, have an acting coach, take a class that helps you break down text for audition (all based in one technique and I wouldn't take any more of those all at the same time than you can handle) and at the same time take an on-camera commercial class or a day-time or prime-time primer class or a television hosting or industrial class or an improvisation class as they are all specialty classes that shouldn't interfere with or confuse you with your technique.

    Lastly, if you tell your teachers that you are taking other classes, you might find a teacher that doesn't like that and another who thinks it's ok. So be ready for that.

    Here are some tips about choosing the right school. (same link as the one above.)

    I hope that helps and don't hesitate to contact me if you have other questions.

    Tony

No comments: